Goal 8: Identify how historical thinking strategies promote critical literacy

The artifact that I chose to reflect goal #8 (Identify how historical thinking strategies promote critical literacy) is from an asynchronous lecture activity on July 20th in my EDCI 414 course.

Pulled from a collaborative group document for EDCI 414 – Museum Field Trip

Why does this artifact reflect my learning of the objective/goal:

For this goal, I chose the artifact of a museum field trip I created in a groups with my peers. Above is an excerpt from this activity where my partner and I were able to explore while connecting historical thinking concepts with the field trip. This small portion of the document we created includes a section where we specifically looked at how historical thinking strategies relate to the design of this trip.

What stood out to me in my learning process:

In planning this field trip, it stood out to me how engaging a well planned and organized trip could be for students. My partner and I were able to explore some of the online components of the Royal BC Museum and see how viewing this planning through the lens of historical thinking strategies could promote critical thinking in students during their visit.

How this learning may impact my teaching practice in the future:

I can  see myself using the resources found during this activity for a future field trip. There were aspects of planning the trip that I hadn’t thought of prior to this activity and I am sure that there is more to planning a field trip too that will come up in my future practice.

Feature Image by Michał Parzuchowski on Unsplash