Goal 9: Evaluate how participatory citizenship leads to deeper engagement with social justice issues

The artifact that I chose to reflect goal #9 (Evaluate how participatory citizenship leads to deeper engagement with social justice issues) is from a guest lecture on July 21st where the Moose Hide Campaign came to my EDCI 414 course.

Moose Hide Campaign Brochure

Why does this artifact reflect my learning of the objective/goal:

I chose to share the artifact of the Moose Hide Campaign from this lecture as the company’s work to create space and conversation to work against violence against women and children. Their work is so impactful in getting men and boys involved in creating safe spaces and having these important conversations especially with regards to the violence against Indigenous women.

What stood out to me in my learning process:

What stood out to me was how important the work is of this campaign, but also how personal the conversation was with the members of this presentation. The message presented is so important to the current state of Canada today and it stood out to me how important communication is to creating  safe spaces.

How this learning may impact my teaching practice in the future:

This conversation has impacted my future practice in education in how this campaign shared ways to have these conversations in the classroom. The focus of this campaign is to work with men and boys to create these safe spaces, but all are encouraged and welcomed to become part of the change for good. As educators, I want to be a part of sharing the Moose Hide Campaigns messages with my future students. These conversations can be very triggering for students or staff, so it is important to ensure you are conscious of that when setting the space for these conversations.

Resources:

Featured Image by Rebekah Blocker on Unsplash