From Knitting Stitches To Sewing Seeds

This week I took a break from knitting. With the pressure to work towards finishing my cardigan, I found myself avoiding wanting to knit altogether. I realized that this defeated the purpose of why I chose to do this project in the first place and so I chose to allow myself to take a break from knitting for the week. I felt that giving myself the space to step away from my cardigan for the week would help me to come back to knitting next week feeling more motivated and encouraged to move forward.

You might be wondering, if I wasn’t knitting away all week, what was I doing. Well, as the weather outside has turned from snow to rain, I began to think about the oncoming warmer weather and how it was time to begin planning my spring and summer garden. This year is the first year that I will have access to a garden plot.

So with the break that I took from knitting this week, I decided to both plan and prepare for what I needed to do to have a healthy harvest come summer. After much research, I have determined what I need to plant first and placed an order for seeds from West Coast Seeds.

Thankfully, I was not left to my own devises completely when planning out my veggie plot, as my mom, sister and nan all have a lot of experience with vegetable gardens on the West Coast. All three of these wonderful women in my life have become my garden mentors. With their wisdom and guidance, I was able to determine what would be best to grow in my new little garden plot and how to get a great yield in my first year of being a West Coast gardener.

Another resource that I found to be incredibly helpful in the planning process was a book that my mom had called The Year-Round Vegetable Gardener by Niki Jabbour. I found this book gave me the details I needed to plan out the sequence of when I would need to plant certain vegetables and how to go about this for each type.

Feature Image by Markus Spiske on Unsplash

3 Replies to “From Knitting Stitches To Sewing Seeds”

1. I have some friends who garden, and I have learned from them that gardening is a lot more hard work than I had previously realized! I hope you have a great harvest by the end of the season 🙂