Reflection 6: Technology and Health

The current global situation has created a unique situation for a multitude of students. The concern of screen time on student health and welling has a whole new meaning.

Screen Time

Prior to the pandemic, screen time was often a concern for students but often was able to be balanced with the simple changes. Now with learning being virtual for a multitude of students every aspect of education involves some form of screen time.

As a current virtual learner, I have had my own issues with balancing screen time and have noticed members of my cohort having issues as well. For me, some of the negative effects of screen time have included headaches, eye straining and blurring, screen/online fatigue, and stiffness from prolonged virtual learning days.

Having been a virtual learner for a semester and a half, I would like to share some of the tips and tricks that have helped me so far:

• Take Stretch Breaks

In between zoom classes, make sure to get up and take a walk around and stretch before your next class or jumping into homework.

• Print Off Readings

Print off anything that you need to read to give yourself a break from the screen. This is a good way to ensure that not all your school work is dependent on you being at your computer.

• Night Shift Setting

This was a trick that some people in my cohort introduced me to. It has been really helpful on especially long Zoom days.

• 20-20-20 Rule

The 20-20-20 rule is a method that can help reduce eye fatigue from prolonged exposure to a screen. Every 20 minutes look away from your screen for 20 seconds at something 20 feet away.

• Set time Limitations

Make sure to break up screen time and set limitations for yourself. That can be especially handy for mobile devices. Set yourself some time limits on social media applications to ensure that your eyes get a break even when you are not at your computer.

• Create Time For Non-screen Activities

In times where screen time is especially high due to work or school, ensure that activities outside of that have minimal screen time. Go for a walk, read a book, knit, craft, talk over the phone, play a board game.

• Ergonomic Set Up

Ensure that when you are stuck at your desk, that you are comfortable. Make sure that your set up takes into consideration your chair, keyboard, key items needed for work, eyeline and the position of each to be ergonomic . computer is set up to be approximately 25 inches or an arms length away from you.

There are a multitude of other tips and tricks to ensuring that our health is valued when we are heavily dependent on screens. Please share below in the comments any methods that you have used and found helpful.

Feature Image by Ales Nesetril on Unsplash

One Reply to “Reflection 6: Technology and Health”