Tools of a Knitter

The knitting has officially begun. The yarn has been chosen, a knitting bag has been selected and the tools of my notions bag has been organized.

The Yarn

After much deliberation I chose a yarn by Universal Yarn Co. called Deluxe Worsted Tweed Superwash in the colourway 910 Porcelain. This yarn is a worsted weight superwash wool, viscose and acrylic blend. I was able to purchase this yarn from a local yarn shop called Knitter’s Nest.

Image by Kate Barnes licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.

The Project Bag

Every knitter knows that selecting the right knitting bag is an essential aspect of starting up any new project. When I am choosing which of my knitting bags use, I often think of a few key components:

• Will the size of the bag be able to hold the project when it is almost a full garment?
      • Does the style of the bag allow me to carry my knitting with me wherever I need to go without any hassle?
      • Does the atheistic of the bag match the new project?

This time around my project bag created by Mrs. Browns Bags was fit for the job of carrying this project as my cardigan is made. This project bag is a medium drawstring tote in the colour Yellow Bricks as shown here.

The Notions

Finally, the notions bags. As noted in my previous post ‘One stitch at a time’, I set out this week to collect all the necessary notions for starting my project off on the right foot.

So far I have collected what I deem as my essential notions bag:

Knitting Items:
  • Stitch Markers
    • As fun and colourful as possible
  • Progress Keeper
    • This is just a fancy stitch marker that helps keep track of the progress of your project
  • Sewing Scissors
    • small and sharp
  • Measuring Tape
    • Comes in handy more than you would think
  • Tapestry Needles
    • It is handy to have a variety of sizes and levels of sharpness
  • Needle Gauge
    • To help you size your knitting needles
  • Pencil
    • Small works best
    • important for making notes and circling information on your pattern
  • Notion Bag
    • We can’t just have all these essentials loose in your project bag
Self-Care Items:
  • Chapstick
    • Love a little self-care
  • Hand Moisturizer
    • Need to take care of the main tools of a knitter – their hands!
  • Hair elastic or scrunchie
    • For when you really need to concentrate
  • Nail file
    • We can’t have our nails catching on the yarn
  • Kleenex
    • Notions bags are all about being prepared

Featured Image by watchtaxinyc on Vecteezy

4 Replies to “Tools of a Knitter”

1. I love the list of essential items, if I ever take up knitting I will know where to look for inspo! What does worsted weight superwash wool mean? Would love to hear more about your yarn deliberations, I have no idea what the differences would be.

Way to go with supporting local!

1. This is an amazing question! I already have inspiration for my next post Ashley. The weight of a yarn describes the thickness of the yarn. A worsted weight yarn is a medium-thick yarn, which means that hopefully the cardigan making process will be a bit faster. A superwash wool means that the wool in the yarn has been treated so that the garments made from it can be washed in a washing machine if you choose. I will definitely be making a post about my yarn deliberation, and more details about yarn in general. Thank you for the inspiration!